When researching my topic, I found many articles, books, and other resources that provided much information directly related to my thesis question, and that gave me the answers I was looking for. One of the best things about my topic is that I was able to find both sides of the issue. I found information that took a negative tone towards violent lyrics, and other sources that defended violence in music. I gathered enough information to answer my thesis question, and represent both sides of the issue.
Many sources indicated that there is a strong and definite link between aggression, violence, and other problems in today's youth and the violent music that we listen to. Some of the main negative influences noted by my sources included: increased chemical dependence, violence, stealing, sexual activity, increasing discomfort in family situations, a preference for friends over family, and poor academic performance. Some sources noted that studies and surveys supported this information. Much of the influence came from the amount of music kids listen to. One source reported that on average, a child listens to 4-6 hours of music. This shows why it is one of the most powerful and influential types of media. There was also information that defended violent lyrics. The main supporters being the artists and fans themselves. They explained that violence is represented in music because it is part of reality and that artist’s real life. One supporter claimed that "Rap music is sick because
I also discovered exactly who was affected. The information I gathered explained that people living in a stable and "normal" environment who don't already have violent thoughts or behavior can listen to violent music and interpret it as entertainment only, and not have any serious negative consequences. On the other hand, people who live in an unstable environment with violent behavior, and that don't value or acknowledge their life can be strongly influenced by the violent lyrics, and add to their troubled behavior, actions, thoughts, and mental instability.
In my opinion, I do know that certain people can be negatively affected by violent lyrics, but not everybody. I already explained who is affected, and I don't think that we can say that violent music is bad or evil from examples involving specific individuals. I can find as many, if not more people, who listen to violent music, and show no signs of negative influence; myself being one of them. Also, I believe that it is NOT the responsibility of the artist or record labels to "sugar-coat" and tone down their lyrics to please the public in fear of being in legal situations involving their music. I think that freedom of speech is artist’s greatest defense against people trying to censor their music on explicit albums. It is the parents’ responsibility to decide what their kids listen to, and the blame can not be place on the artists themselves. Finally, I don't think that artists should be seen as evil or morally unethical based only on what appears in their music. I was able to answer my thesis question, and give insight on all opinions, sides, and elements of my topic.
No comments:
Post a Comment